• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

What did you do to your rig today?

autumnwalker

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

(Hey, I can't use the Quote function lately, whassup?)

I might look at those struts. My Nissan Rogue struts never lifted the gate fully in the cold when new, and this year it falls back on my head!

Me too, my hatch with the shovel mounted on it is struggling especially with this cold

Well after boosting the truck 6 times.....today.....i installed a battery charger/maintainer. Neat system, hardwires to your battery and when plugged in it charges your battery and when it's fully charged it switches to maintain mode which is basically a trickle charge. Instead of having 2 plugs ( 1 for the block 1 for the battery charger) I rigged it in such a way that I have one cord for both :)

Well Command, why did you have to boost it 6 times? Sounds like you need a new battery or alternator as well! the charger/maintainer doesn't do much at the mall!

Just jiving ya man, but I'd like to hear the rest of the story.

Well Command, why did you have to boost it 6 times? Sounds like you need a new battery or alternator as well! the charger/maintainer doesn't do much at the mall!

Just jiving ya man, but I'd like to hear the rest of the story.

haha....it does me good at the mall since here they have plugs to plug your vehicle into :P. Under normal circumstances you are right, but instead of not charging it up every night now I start every day with a fully charged battery. I keep a battery pack with me so I can self jump :)

Under normal circumstances yes I would agree with you on the new battery bit (alternator is fine, checked it today). What happened was last night a couple medics are staying at the house and they both have ambulances that they plug in, in addition to mine. Well someone shorted out their cord and blew the fuse which went un-noticed, it was -50 last night. Their's barely started and mine did not, so 12+ hours sitting in -50 weather probably did it. Tested the battery and it was at 10V dropping to 6V under a load, so I jumped it with my pack.

1. Let it run till it warmed up and accidentally turned it off

2. Didn't let it run long enough

3. Wen't to the station and have the habit of turning it off

4. Brought it into the shop to test the battery, had to turn it off

5. Turned it on but shop was not ventilating so it got turned off.....again.

6. Went in to a restaurant to have lunch and turned it off, at which point I jumped it again and left it running while inside having lunch.

Although it is to early to tell but the charger appears to be helping, according to my battery gauge in the truck it is running at 12-14V as oppose to 9-10V. Although I agree I probably need a new battery anyways and will load test it tomorrow to be sure.

Scott, First off *Nelson's voice & pointing finger* "HAHA"! @the cold :P !

Your battery tender is great out there since there is plugs everywhere, *but* if your battery is weak makes it only a bandaid, but a good thing since you gotta plug it in anyways! Your battery doesn't get the windchill temp value, but at more than -40 air temp, ANY vehicle left sitting all night without the block heater plugged in is lucky to start. It takes ALOT of juice to crank over and start the truck when the oil is as thick as a McDonalds milkshake.

I don't miss that cold ;) !

Pretty much nailed it, although I have had a very hard time finding "conventional" oil. Not that I use it but still lol.

So what are you using up there now for winter, 0w30 synthetic? That's pretty much what they have to run farther north than where you are for winter...

i used to have a 5000k hid kit on bimmer, sold it to go with 8000k but i honestly liked my 5000k better. the higher the number is, the more you get that "blue-ish" color and they're not any brighter. and yes they make a big difference. i could light up my entire backyard at night and even transport trucks would turn their high beams on when they saw me coming haha

Today the devil made work for some idle hands.......

The end game for the X is to get a tube bumper for the front. I figured I would have nothing to loose, so I went ahead and had some fun with the factory plastic.

All i need to do is finish off the edges and fix the paint on whats left of the plastic.

2014-01-11+04-04-44-813.jpg

2014-01-11+04-05-05-429.jpg

2014-01-11+05-00-49-712.jpg

2014-01-11+05-01-22-557.jpg

Archived