• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

What did you do to your rig today?

autumnwalker

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Took my zaust apart again and realized the whole thing was hanging off 1 rear hanger....no wonder the front joint keeps breaking free...that and the tail pipe getting sat on after dropping into the last water crossing...the end is a nice D shape now lol.

Should be good for another week now lol

Got home 2am Monday morning from a 3 day trip to a beautiful area called Cornwall Bridge Connecticut. Collected two 2.5l 4 cyl naturally aspirated diesel engines that would have started out most likely in a mid 80s to early 90s military 90 or 110. One described as healthy and complete the other may require rebuilt. But, the first one was rebuilt by the MOD in 1997 and the may require overhaul one was rebuilt by the MOD in 2008.... not much time to wear out an engine...

nice! let me know if you ever need a hand to swap it in. i m fabbing my skids after new year's eve, we ll have to go finish that trail we started with iannick :)

I am certainly looking forward to finishing that trail!

Thanks for the offer, I will keep that in mind. Trouble is I will likely be working on it a few hours at a time and it is located in the Gaspereau Valley in the gayrage of another Rover owner... Bit of a drive from Porters Lake! I also intend on a partial rebuilt of a spare gearbox, installation of a late 40s to mid 50s Series 1 transfer case (same high range, lower low range) all to be installed at the same time.

finished the rebuild of my drivers door that had all but fallen off . ( the lower hinge had rusted away ) Then lowered the air pressure to 4 psi and headed back into the woods .

Got my 2-way handheld semi-permanently installed in a better location than just thrown on the passenger seat. I used a cheepo Walmart vent organizer, a speaker mic, an external mag-mount antenna and a battery eliminator. Also some silicone and duct tape to protect the seat belt from the nut.

I chose the bottom of the B-pillar so I could clip the speaker mic onto the seat belt for easy access.

IMG_20131230_135706.jpg
IMG_20131230_141031.jpg
IMG_20131230_142729.jpg
IMG_20131230_142952.jpg

Devin, are you lights floods or spots? I know floods are bad on the roof, but even worse on the hood.

One set of each, spots in the centre, floods on the outside. Both throw some light on the hood, not too bad though as the hood is dark & the light output is yellowish.

Got my 2-way handheld semi-permanently installed in a better location than just thrown on the passenger seat. I used a cheepo Walmart vent organizer, a speaker mic, an external mag-mount antenna and a battery eliminator. Also some silicone and duct tape to protect the seat belt from the nut.

I chose the bottom of the B-pillar so I could clip the speaker mic onto the seat belt for easy access.

If the bolt head is inline/interfering with the seat-belt requiring silicone & duct tape; find a carridge bolt and be done with it. You should be able to use your fingers to apply enough force to "seat" it into the plastic. Large washer on the inside to cover the square, and a proper one on the other end.

ca_bolt_1a.jpg

Picked up the K&N, exhaust and CB. Thursday at 1 the intake and exhaust go on. The antenna, mount and coax will be in on the 9th.

It would be interesting to throw the truck on a dynamometer before and after the intake / exhaust mods - see how much power you pick up (or lose :o).

Slowly working on my diesel engine (sort of monster torque) swap.... so far I have less than $1500 into it for recently rebuilt engines! And that includes gas money and such for a trip to Connecticut and back... Not quite a cummins but the british army have been running the same engine from the early to mid 80's until very recently... one of my engines was rebuilt by the MOD in 2008.

Just ordered new hatch lift struts for the X. Ordered them from a company in BC as they have custom lines available. Each strut cost ~$20 and they are a direct fit but have an extra lift capacity of 15 lbs/side. Even with the additional cost of shipping (~$25 FedEx Ground), I'm still ahead of the game compared to OEM/OEM replacement crap available locally.

http://www.geminigassprings.com

Archived