• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

What did you do to your rig today?

autumnwalker

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From this...

attachicon.gif2013-12-16 10.24.26.jpg

to this...

attachicon.gif2013-12-17 20.31.36.jpg

Happy Jeep on the road again :) !

I have experienced that. I "fixed" mine with my winch routed through an appropriately placed snatch block!

I have been considering a set of solid steel steering rods, readily available, $200 CAD from Vermont or $115 CAD form the UK, ironically shipping rates are very similar...

They would be considerably stronger than the stock hollow tubes ones with jam nuts instead of clamps... The only reason I haven't yet is because the hollow ones are the weak point and a reseanably easy fix on the trail. If I upgrade to the solid steel rods, where is my weakpoint? And will it be as easily repaired in the woods?

RNA5612.jpg

http://www.roversnorth.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=RNA5612&type=0&eq=&desc=STEERING-ROD-SET-HEAVY-DUTY-SER.II-III&key=it

I have experienced that. I "fixed" mine with my winch routed through an appropriately placed snatch block!

I have been considering a set of solid steel steering rods, readily available, $200 CAD from Vermont or $115 CAD form the UK, ironically shipping rates are very similar...

They would be considerably stronger than the stock hollow tubes ones with jam nuts instead of clamps... The only reason I haven't yet is because the hollow ones are the weak point and a reseanably easy fix on the trail. If I upgrade to the solid steel rods, where is my weakpoint? And will it be as easily repaired in the woods?

http://www.roversnorth.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=RNA5612&type=0&eq=&desc=STEERING-ROD-SET-HEAVY-DUTY-SER.II-III&key=it

Bent rie-rods are a big problem. Been there many times myself. Including 2008 Poker Run. I upgraded to an alloy rod (DOM? 4130?) which helps but they still bend under enough force and when they do they don't straighten as easily as the softer steel! And there are blogs that hollow tubes are actually stonger than solid steel.

For the old Chevs, with the steering box and attached steering knuckle on the same side, under extreme articulation you don't have much steering left. And so it would be hard for me to do the washout! So the solution is cross-over steering to alliviate the problen under articulation and High-Steer placing the tie-rod on top of the axle. That is my next major modification.

http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/Dana60crossover.htm

we just finished strength of materials at school and we spent a lot of time calculating this stuff. the truth is there is not much advantage to using a full pipe. the hollow pipe is a lot lighter so you can run a bigger tube instead. all the force ends up acting on the outside of the pipes, the center of a full pipe sees no change in tension or compression, so really it sees virtually no force.

I had the old stock hollow tie rod and I bent that up a few times after I installed the zj one hasn't moved dragged and smashed or over so much stuff ann i ended up bending the other link first lol I also carry spair of each a driveshaft and both front axles

we just finished strength of materials at school and we spent a lot of time calculating this stuff. the truth is there is not much advantage to using a full pipe. the hollow pipe is a lot lighter so you can run a bigger tube instead. all the force ends up acting on the outside of the pipes, the center of a full pipe sees no change in tension or compression, so really it sees virtually no force.

unless you try to park on a rock right in the middle of the track bar! Running a larger tube really isn't an option in this application... on full lock the track bar is almost touching the springs as it is...

I am not all learned up on this stuff but I'd say when forces are applied to steering rods in the directions they are intended to be applied (tension and compression) there is little to no benefit to a solid steel over a hollow tube. However, when the side load is applied (such as trying to park on a rock!) I'd think the benefits of the solid one would show.

Running a larger tube really isn't an option in this application... on full lock the track bar is almost touching the springs as it is...

I am not all learned up on this stuff but I'd say when forces are applied to steering rods in the directions they are intended to be applied (tension and compression) there is little to no benefit to a solid steel over a hollow tube. However, when the side load is applied (such as trying to park on a rock!) I'd think the benefits of the solid one would show.

I figured you couldn't fit a larger diameter rod/tube in your application. I suspect you are right about there not being much difference in tension and compression between tube and solid. That would have to be extreme pressures anyway! But there seems to be not a lot of advantage to solid over tube from a 'bending moment' pov. I haven't looked for the article(s) but I will post if I find them. Sure, if you can't fit larger tube go with solid. If you can fit larger tube, it is better. This even affects driveshafts iirc. If you want a stronger driveshaft to resist rotational torque, you easily go with larger tube, not solid. And to resist flailing around! And I forget about the larger tube with thinner walls, but I think it is still better than smaller tube with thicker walls. Someone will find those articles!

Wait: I found a good one! And I was forgeting about weight. The big fact is solid doesn't add much strength given it's extra weight, but a slightly larger tuber is stronger than a slightly smaller solid rod. Whew!

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/1101or-steel-tubing-myth-of-the-tube/

i didnt say go an extra 2 inches but lets say you add 1/8 of an inch over stock, with steel that has a higher carbon content in it, is still better than the same grade of material they'de be using OEM and a hell of a lot lighter. its all about compromises. then again, high carbon steel is more prone to just fracture instead of bending... but then your weakest point becomes something else.

like the article mentions, comparing a rod with 1" diameter with a 1.25" tube with a .125" thickness, not only the tube is a lot stronger but is also a lot lighter. thats what i was talking about.

i still have a bunch of charts at home from that course with tensile strengths, elasticity and all that good stuff for a bunch of materials and its fairly simple to play with those formulas to demonstrate it works.

Well I was wondering why the Jeep was still vibrating after the ice has come off the wheels, looked, and found that I lost all my wheel weights.

My transmission crossmember is also now bowed up some, and where the rear drivers side control arm mounts to the Jeep got crushed in a little.

With loosing all the tire weights, it has me thinking about getting beads instead of getting them rebalanced. If I keep loosing weights, getting them balanced will add up pretty quick.

Nice! Now where did you put the First Aid kit that you displaced? Nothing is ever simple is it!

I've seen that mod a lot on the X forums. On my list of things to do. It will still work with the first aid kit installed; it tucks nicely underneath or you can spin the shovel to go "over" it.

shovel1.jpg

If I were you Jay, I'd spin it the other way as in the pic above. Not sure how tall you are in relation to the hatch, but I can most certainly say some other person walking under your hatch and is not aware of the "business end" pointing down are in for a work of hurt and possibly a bandage or worse stitches!. If you keep it oriented that way, you better get a first aid kit to put in there soon :P

I did steal the idea off CX....good tip for the pointy end too, thanks :)

No problem with the tip about the "tip". (<-- sad, sad phrasing, I know ;))

If you find the end of the shovel hits the plastic, I've seen other use a piece of sound deadening material (Dynamat, etc) or ice & water shield used when doing a roof. I have 3/4 of a roll of ice & water shield at the house so if you need a piece, let me know. I can add it to the drive flanges that I'll get into your hands before too much longer.

Archived