• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

What did you do to your rig today?

autumnwalker

The Xterra is back from a marathon session to have Doug Thorley headers from Rugged Rocks, a pair of Magnaflow Cats and a new O2 sensor installed.

The primary cats were clogged and showing P0420 & P0430 codes and the secondary cats were rattling, presumably with collapsed honeycombs.

All 4 cats were ripped out and the primary cats have been replaced with Magnaflow cats.

The secondary cats were left out as their only purpose is cold start emission reduction and also not needed for the inspection.

I had previously been concerned about a pinging/detonation/rattling noise that was happening only under load. This is now gone..presumably because the O2 sensors are no longer over-fueling due to a lean condition from leaking exhaust manifolds...OR the noise was just loose material rattling around in the cats.

Either way the X is running a lot better and all is well :)

2013-08-06+14.44.49.jpg

2013-08-14+16.08.25.jpg

2013-08-14+16.08.47.jpg

2013-08-14+16.10.57.jpg

2013-08-14+16.12.35.jpg

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

as for power gains; I'm not sure...she's running a lot better now and I'm sure it's helped especially with fueling.

really the main reason (read excuse) for the headers was manifold cracks. other X owners have had cracks after a year or so after replacing with oem manifolds....poor (re)design.

so I figured if I'm gonna keep the X (and I usually buy & sell a vehicle evey 5 minutes) so a more permenent fix would be best.

Tom; your new ride is awesome!

Well I finished fixin the cab mounts that well throughout floor on b n g a while back and now this is the mock up of the bumper I'm making its going to be out of 2x2x1/4" square steel tubing and full arc welded shell be a tough number and look good too I hope tell me what ya think please!!:) also it will be plated on top with 1/8" Diamond plate

post-761-0-57801100-1376620451_thumb.jpg

post-761-0-35335100-1376620469_thumb.jpg

post-761-0-92144300-1376620484_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the offer Jamie...

I got lucky, I thought the bolt had snapped flush with the mounting bracket, but the bracket had sprung out a bolts width, so I was able to push the bracket back in and put a bolt on it to shore it up.

I can deal with bolt removal another time :) I'm hoping a weld on the bolt might be enough to get it out.

That'll learn me to work on the X the night before a run :very_frustrated:

Archived