• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

What did you do to your rig today?

autumnwalker

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Received my 36" LED light bar and tried it out with my other 20" one. Wired it all up and prepped everything, could not mount it due to still waiting for my Xoskel mount to come in.

If you are buying wheel bearings try Motion on Akerley. I buy all my bearings there, half the price of NAPA, Canadian Tire, etc.

EXCEPT - you have to know the bearing number! That is usually easy, just read it off the old one, or find it on the web!

Same with seals.

Replaced my front brake pads, no issues. Parking brake has been soft and a bit of odd wear on the rear disc (thought it was seized slide pins) so took apart the rear as well.

Outcome: PB shoes as thin as birch bark & rear inner pads fell away from the backing while removing...guess that's why my PB hasn't worked since Dec and the brake pedal goes a little further to the floor than usual ;)

X will be on stands until I get new pads, shoes & a kit tomorrow.

after much nashing of teeth pulling out of hair removing parts looking for wear and broken pieces reinstalling of parts ordering more parts I am hopeing really really really hopeing the death wobble is found. this started last summer on the way home from 2012 event I couldn't drive faster than 70 kph or the front end felt likr it was going to fall off .

it took me about five hours to get home took the xj to pat's to find out it still was in four high insert you laugh here ( ) the wobble never went away now I have the front axles out to find both u-joints are stiff in one direction . no problem remove old joints and install new one .

NOPE NOPE NOPE after soaking parts in oil ,beating on them with hammers ,using a torch and finnally a grinder ( which is a bad idea because I just ruined a stub shaft ) the parts are going to a garage to be repaired before the BFH jumps into my hands and I beat the jeep into itty bitty pieces rant over bed time now

after much nashing of teeth pulling out of hair removing parts looking for wear and broken pieces reinstalling of parts ordering more parts I am hopeing really really really hopeing the death wobble is found. this started last summer on the way home from 2012 event I couldn't drive faster than 70 kph or the front end felt likr it was going to fall off .

it took me about five hours to get home took the xj to pat's to find out it still was in four high insert you laugh here ( ) the wobble never went away now I have the front axles out to find both u-joints are stiff in one direction . no problem remove old joints and install new one .

NOPE NOPE NOPE after soaking parts in oil ,beating on them with hammers ,using a torch and finnally a grinder ( which is a bad idea because I just ruined a stub shaft ) the parts are going to a garage to be repaired before the BFH jumps into my hands and I beat the jeep into itty bitty pieces rant over bed time now

:facepalm:

Good luck! Planning on going to Sweetland if it is ready?

Mounted my winch solenoid control box to the side of the air box. I'll post pics tomorrow after I re-install.

Also fixed the gas door spring...finally after 4 years, it closes firm against the body. Only took it popping off today to find a cure.

Replaced a battered exhaust gasket

Bought a cheepo angle grinder from CrappyTire, was 70, down to 20 and I got 5 off that on an in-store CrappyTire scratchcard - woohoo!

Bought a new flex pipe section to replace the one on my Y pipe that I crushed on Bump'n'Grind....only to discover it's too short.

Had some fun smoking out the 'hood by Seafoaming the motor :lol:

Did some more detective work on my pesky P0420 & P0430 codes

Googled some....realised the 2 codes started immediately after replacing my evap purge valve - Googled some more, found others with similar experiences with the evap purge causing these codes....gonna re-fit the old purge valve soon, see if the problem goes away and take it from there ;)

Also fixed the gas door spring...finally after 4 years, it closes firm against the body. Only took it popping off today to find a cure.

So that's where mine went :P

Installed the wireless keypad, in my gas tank cover (yup she fits). Troubleshooted a light and ended up ordering another.

Archived