• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

What did you do to your rig today?

autumnwalker

Ok Backcountry, it's a rainy day... what are you workin' on? Lets get one of these "what did you build today" posts going!

I've been trying to source a rig to work on; so far that's what I have been doing today. I also delivered a track bar to James last night; trying to drag me down into the Jeep world... :toothless:

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Built a template to get some rockers made for the 4runner...Race off to Burnside Sheet metal later to get them made. I still gotta make a template for the inners.

Good idea. But bad idea too, if you want to wheel it. You should make your rockers/sills out of 2x4 or 2x6 square tube. Then they will double as rock rail/sliders as well. Plus that will give you something to use a high-lift jack on if need be. ;)

Good idea. But bad idea too, if you want to wheel it. You should make your rockers/sills out of 2x4 or 2x6 square tube. Then they will double as rock rail/sliders as well. Plus that will give you something to use a high-lift jack on if need be. ;)

This is ALSO true... As you can see shes the Holy Toyota. So something has to be done soon about it...

And it will last longer.

any chance of building a doubler with the '84 box?

I smell opportunity.

No, it's a 208. I have a 205 in the garage but I don't have a 203 to mate with it. But Off Road Design has a new box instead of using a 203.

BUT, I've thought this through before. I have 4:11 gears and an automatic. And I've never needed lower gears. The torque convertor loads up just fine. In fact, one summer during Fox the transfer case wouldn't go into low range. And I crawled the whole event in high without a problem. So, because I don't rock crawl on a regular basis, I don't need a doubler! And my new-to me axles will be 4:56 ratio, so I'm even better off than adding more weight and another cross-member and 205's are noisy because they are all-gear. The 208 is a chain and whisper quiet!

Now don't get me wrong, I like to spend money and modify, but I'm saving my money for cross-over and high-steer, and a new crate motor. I've also decided not to do a SYE on the 208 (Tom Woods), because I will never be 200 miles into the desert and break a rear-drive shaft. Priorities!

Well I finally pulled off the bushguard And the mangled brackets. Now since they been there since 1998 ain't no threads left to reinstall my tow points..Now sits higher in the rear...

IMG-20120908-00325.jpg

IMG-20120908-00324.jpg

Mangled Brackets

IMG-20120908-00327.jpg

Bolts Holding the Brackets in..

IMG-20120908-00326.jpg

And I changed the 13 year old Fuel Filter...

Now my Delima is how to get my tow points back on for the 22th crawl..

I could drill it out and put a collar thru and thru the frame with longer bolts, washers and nuts holding them onto the frame...( also keeps the frame from pancaking ) Or do my single front hitch idea..

Robert - I would see if you could run a tap through the old holes to re-use them.

I was in the shop with Guy all day today working on some rockers for his ZJ. H2 needs an oil change - might tackle that tomorrow.

Robert - I would see if you could run a tap through the old holes to re-use them.

I was in the shop with Guy all day today working on some rockers for his ZJ. H2 needs an oil change - might tackle that tomorrow.

Only thing if threads don't hold, nasty sight for the rig pulling me out.

well that sounds much better something i gota get around to doing but i gota finsh puting a new rear floor in it rotted out around the 2 rear body mounts

Rears only a class 2 and PA has a Class 3 for 159$ so what the hay And why try and sell my class 2 for like 40$ when I can use it..

Single mount further up, rather then digging into the mud for hook up...

Plates getting moved up a bit, lower plastic coming off and should sit where the plate is..

She be ready for the 22nd crawl...

Yeah Mine needs 2 whole new rockers... so tube rockers going in after the 22nd.

Archived