• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

75w-90 gear oil in Halifax?

Guest autumnwalker

Anyone know where I can find Mobil 1 gear oil in Halifax? I'm not too keen on buying the "grape juice" from GM at the outrageous prices they charge. The Mobil 1 is supposed to meet the GM spec and be much cheaper... if you can find it.

UPDATE: I called the dealership just to see - the GM stuff is $16.65 per 946ml bottle. I've been told I need about 5 bottles, so that's an expensive trip for gear lube!

What are you guys running for gear lube? I found Castrol SYNTEC for $6.79/bottle. Not sure how I feel about Castrol though. It gets mixed reviews online.

I came across this study done by AMSOIL which compares the different gear oils (surprise, theirs wins), but it indicates that the Castrol is similar to the GM except it scores worse in its foaming properties, in fact... it fails that test.

GearLubeWhitePaper.pdf

Might as well buy the 20L if you have the money.... You will need it again anyways and you won't have to search for it next time! My rear took 5l alone when I put my new diff cover on, not sure if yours fill like mine though.

scott i am a dye hard castrol user and will not use anything else i haven't had a probelm with it and i use it in everything i own from my lawn mower to my one ton diesel dump truck in fact I am that dye hard of a castrol fan that when ever I buy a vehicle I change the oil over to castrol I know what the test say but I am speakin as a person that uses all the castrol products and haven't had any probelms none of them but it is your truck

scott i am a dye hard castrol user and will not use anything else i haven't had a probelm with it and i use it in everything i own from my lawn mower to my one ton diesel dump truck in fact I am that dye hard of a castrol fan that when ever I buy a vehicle I change the oil over to castrol I know what the test say but I am speakin as a person that uses all the castrol products and haven't had any probelms none of them but it is your truck

Now that is a positive recommendation. Thanks Andrew!

your welcome just tryin to help I personnelly don't like syntheic oil but my father uses the castrol syntheic blend and he seams to like it so that might be an opion see if u can find a syntheic blend maybe that might be easrier to find just to let everyone know that NAPA on strawberry hill is the castrol dealer for halifax I found that out when I called CASTROL CANADA to find out who the dealer was but depending on the what you aree looking for i have noticed that Wallyworld sell alot of castrol stuff and it is cheaper so u might find what you are looking for there cause walmart sell all the brands of oil for example the castrol 15w40 at Napa is like $98 dollars for a 20ltr pal and I can get it cheaper at walmart it goes there for like $66 so you can quess where i buy my oil

My front took 2.5 maybe just under.. And it's only a little Dana 30

Diff cover may have been bigger than stock but not a whole lot

u put 2.5lt in ur dana 30? do u still have axel seals left,,,, ur only supposed to fill ur diff up to the bottom of the axel tube .... overfilling ur rear-ends can take out the seals..... 1.5lt is more then enough for a 30....

Archived