• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Road trip 2011 (Rausch Creek)

Guest Geezer

A group of five of us are going to Pennsylvania to go wheeling at Rausch Creek Offroad Park .Where leaving On June 1st and coming back the following tues so we can wheel the weekend. Clarence (Suzuki XXL7 on toys) Everett (Ranger truggy) Darren(S-10 truggy) Jim(Jeep YJ on tons) and myself Andy(rear steer buggy) and our respective spouses have been planning this since last fall. Well we're starting to get down to crunch time and most things are falling into place but not without some issues. This promises to be a great road trip with some good friends and some awesome wheeling and I thought maybe we'll share some of the happenings before, during and after the trip.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Darren has swapped in a dana 60 in front,converted to rear disks and is in the middle of installing a 241/208 doubler that we built.Oh yeah he's also putting on a set of 44"s.I was over to see Jim's rig on Sun and all I can say is WOW.It's a YJ tub on a 1 ton frame and running gear.60 front/14 bolt rear with 5.13's, ARB and Detroit running a small block,4 speed and a 205.All setting on some wide *** 38.5" MTZ's.

As it was pointed out to me today there is only 6 weeks until we leave on our trip and the list of things to do seems to be getting longer.I bought some new tires for the trailer and when I tried to needle gun the rims so I could paint them I found them to be a bit on the thin side.So new rims and tires on the trailer.Also found the left side frame rail has a couple of holes in it so I'm gonna replace a section of the frame from in front of the fender all the way to the coupler.I also changed the rims on the explorer back to the original ones and now have to get them balanced.Gotta put a CB in the truck so we can talk to each other during the trip and install another trans cooler.Oh well,I got 6 weeks.

post-120-1303001954_thumb.jpgpost-120-1303002188_thumb.jpg

so it is just under 5 weeks away now. I am starting to plan the packing that I will need to do (kids clothes my clothes

camping gear maybe some clothes for clarence) and all I have come up with is a long list of shopping requirements seems everyone changed sizes since last summer!! But I would like to remind people to get their passports and a recent online purchase was $570 us and $557 can was billed to my mastercard!! (no it was not truck parts for clarence)

time is flying!

Ordered a new rear axle top replace the one I broke on Sat.Should be here next week so I'm not gonna bother swapping in the 9" for any runs. Got the trailer frame rail replaced this week with the help of Clyde.Still needs paint and new straps then it's ready to go.The explorer needs the CB hooked up and a second trans cooler installed and it should be good to go. 4 WEEKS TO GO.

...and new straps

I'm thinking you might get a good deal at work on straps. If not check out costco, we sell the same Erickson ones PA (possibly PFT as well) two for pretty near the price of one at PA.

That is if you want/willing to run a J hook end.

We have ones similar to or possibly same these ones, I can check for ya if ya want. Bout same price but for 2 pack.

http://www.princessauto.com/trailer/cargo-...atchet-tie-down

Just an update. I'm planning on arriving late Thursday night. Thinking between 11-12, depending on when I get out of work. Mike won't be coming he didn't put in for the day off early enough, and they booked him a full schedule. Looking forward to seeing/meeting you guys!

New(yo me) tires are on and I hooked up the tranny cooler.Hauled the buggy up to the valley Sunday and the smaller tires make a lot of difference.She pulled 100-120 the whole way no problem.Very happy with it as a tow vehicle.Now a set of rear shocks and the CB.Only two weeks left.

Archived