• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Buggy Mods

Guest Geezer

So after driving the buggy for a little I have determined some design problems. I've decided to start on two of the more extensive "repairs". First I'm going to lengthen the chassis in the seat area to give me some more leg room. I'm going to add 6' which will let me stretch out my legs. I started making the sleeves and welding them into the 6" piece of tubing.

post-120-1261333923_thumb.jpg

Then since I got the saw out I may as well cut the roof off.The roof doesn't have enough clearance and we're always banging our helmets.Gonna bend some tube and make a roof something like this.

DSCN1871.jpg

DSCN1868.jpg

Probably get started mid Jan a soon as this christmas crap is over with and I finish a couple of side jobs.Hey clarence,check out the rig ahead of the buggy.

post-120-1261333981_thumb.jpg

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yea I seen that pretty sweet I like the fender protection :huh:

theres a thread buildup of that rig over on the zuharri site you may have seen it there clarence..:(

the red one that is .... :mellow:

nope ,maybe you got yours right the first time.

Not really :mellow: There are many things I rushed to make it to the crawl. I wasn't happy with the front end and stinger and really not happy with the suspension.

Time will tell if I tear into it this winter.

We should make a trip over to Dean's to check out his progress... :huh:

• 5 months later...

so I took a weeks vacation to work on the buggie.Had a big list of things to do and it didn't work out like I wanted.To many other things to do and the time just go away from me.Anyhow I got a few things done.After breaking another heim end last weekend it was time to beef up.

post-120-1275083467_thumb.jpg

cut off the old brackets

post-120-1275083603_thumb.jpg

Started welding on a new bracket

post-120-1275083650_thumb.jpg

mount complete

post-120-1275083701_thumb.jpgpost-120-1275083772_thumb.jpg

I welded a support on the truss to keep it from bending

post-120-1275083884_thumb.jpg

Installed new heavy-duty heims on the lower links

post-120-1275083825_thumb.jpg

Ordered some chrome-moly outers on Tues morn and they showed up Thurs noon.Tried to get some full circle snap-rings for them but nobody had any.

post-120-1275083936_thumb.jpgpost-120-1275083980_thumb.jpg

All done and back together

post-120-1275084928_thumb.jpg

Alan ,I got the johnny joint form APJ's($70) and the heims from TMR($20).The axles are from a Canadian company called Quality Gear($136 ea).I am still putting the cv axles in the front but I had cromo's inner's in the rear already so I put these with them.

I ended up getting some full circle snap rings from a guy in Ontario.Rock Spider i think was the name of the company.He had them in stock.He stocks lots of different stuff.Try him out.

I'll vouch for dealing with RockSpyder, that where I got my bumper from. Good bunch of guys. I believe the owners name is Jim....

• 1 month later...

Archived