• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

User's rigs

90bronco

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, sorry, it was from eBay, and as soon as I typed eBay, the 'LadiesMan' reference popped into my head as a joke. I got 2 emblems for about $6 and they are the same size as 'Trail Rated' emblems on Jeeps. I gave the 2nd to another Jeep owner with an XJ.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are a few of the rigs i have kicking around

This is the rig I wheel the most, 78 Cj7 350 Chev, 4 spd, scouts, 38x12.5 tsl swampers

IMG_0537_zps31f5802f.jpg

This one may look in decent shape but the only thing holding your feet up was the red shag carpet the previous owner added... I'm just going to switch everything from this over to my other body as this one needs a lot of attention. Neat thing about this was it was the showroom truck at the local ford dealer in 79. Has the sliding windows and louvers in the topper and came with a factory roll bar ect.

IMG_0567_zps07b1cb83.jpg

This is the only pic of my jk i can find that is the most up to date of what it looks like, wheeled it for 2 years or so till i realized the cj is MUCH cheaper to break lol

IMG_0036_zpsd5aa1e81.jpg

• 2 months later...

That thing is awesome!

Ya it's a pretty sweet un-bastardized 1984 imported from Germany with the original owner.

But alas...it's an automatic:(

Oh ya, I asume you were referring to the G?

Out for a sunny Sunday crawl.

Just me and my G.

Nice G! Does yours have the low geared transmiision or the hi geared? A friend of mine imports vehicles from Japan (15 years and older), the last G he brought in had a low range transmission that only allowed about 90 km/hr on the highway at almost redline on the tach. It was a beast with lockers front & rear. Would have loved to have it for a trail rig!

Nice G! Does yours have the low geared transmiision or the hi geared? A friend of mine imports vehicles from Japan (15 years and older), the last G he brought in had a low range transmission that only allowed about 90 km/hr on the highway at almost redline on the tach. It was a beast with lockers front & rear. Would have loved to have it for a trail rig!

This one is the low range auto transmission. You're right about 90kms/hr on the hwy. You're also right about being a beast with lockers front and rear she seems quite capable even as a stock truck.

I may keep this and update the suspension, add a front bumper with a winch, see what she will do.

Thanks,

Jim

post-743-0-88352700-1363913511_thumb.jpg

got up early (think i have old man syndrome), looked out window, and see that it was possibly the crappiest snow storm ever! this town cant even get bad weather right lol

This one is the low range auto transmission. You're right about 90kms/hr on the hwy. You're also right about being a beast with lockers front and rear she seems quite capable even as a stock truck.

I may keep this and update the suspension, add a front bumper with a winch, see what she will do.

Thanks,

Jim

You have an awesome set of rigs!

I had the chance to drive the aforementioned G-wagon and wished to the gods to have the funds to own it at that time! We tested it a bit (read as ditches on the side of fire roads) and the only word I can think to post to explain the experience is TANK! 4 LO, fully locked, 5 speed...I swear it would spin the wheels without any skinny pedal even faced against a brick wall and tires on pavement!

As an aside, the vehicle I drove (imported) was sold to a Doctor in Ottawa who loved the outdoors and wanted this specific rig site unseen! Literally, he bought it, and sent someone to pick it up for him...the only condition was that the driver did not hit the highway...all secondary roads!

I'll have to search to see if I still have pics ;)

Most people are not aware of the transmission gearing on the G-Wagons.

You have an awesome set of rigs!

I am still figuring out if I can keep the G and lightly modify it for even more off road competency?

I had the chance to drive the aforementioned G-wagon and wished to the gods to have the funds to own it at that time! We tested it a bit (read as ditches on the side of fire roads) and the only word I can think to post to explain the experience is TANK! 4 LO, fully locked, 5 speed...I swear it would spin the wheels without any skinny pedal even faced against a brick wall and tires on pavement!

Low range will certainly get you there.....eventually.

As an aside, the vehicle I drove (imported) was sold to a Doctor in Ottawa who loved the outdoors and wanted this specific rig site unseen! Literally, he bought it, and sent someone to pick it up for him...the only condition was that the driver did not hit the highway...all secondary roads!

She struggles to maintain 90km/hr and is commonly at 80km/hr up hill.

I'll have to search to see if I still have pics ;)

Most people are not aware of the transmission gearing on the G-Wagons.

Love to see those pics.

Thanks,

Jim

I drove the newer 5CYL TD and I wasn't impressed. Thing solely relied on the turbo for power. you goto climb anything slowly and only way you could get it to climb if give it more gas then you wanted, Or it was like a truck again a brick wall in 4th gear. So they never were known for being powerful, but they do go in places. 1 thing I disliked, HOLY top heavy they are...

But I would love to still have one.

Archived